Today, brighter, whiter smiles are more coveted than ever. But what causes teeth to discolor in the first place, and how can discoloration be reversed?
The causes of discoloration
Teeth get darker over the years as the enamel thins and the yellow dentin underneath is exposed. Other causes of discolored teeth are genetics, oral hygiene, nutrition and the environment in which you live—some better than others for pearly whites.
Why are your teeth yellowing? It could be from any one of these factors. First, take note of the older generation in your family as you may have inherited genes prone to teeth discoloration. Second, consider what you’re putting in your mouth. Remember that dark foods and beverages, like berries, red wine, coffee, and tomato sauce, can stain your enamel. Are you a smoker? Chances are those cigarettes aren’t doing your teeth any favors, either.
Teeth whitening options
You have many options for brightening your smile. Of course, it’s always best to speak to your dentist about your personal situation and the best solution for you. Popular teeth whitening options include toothpastes, store-bought gels and strips, and whitening rinses, as well as dental office whitening treatments.
- Whitening toothpastes are affordable and available for purchase at your local drug store or grocery store. Most contain mild abrasives that are typically limited to removing surface stains, providing mild whitening.
- Whitening gels and strips both contain hydrogen peroxide in varying strengths. With regular use, they produce results in a few days that last for a few months.
- Whitening rinses are mouthwashes with ingredients like hydrogen peroxide that whiten while also helping combat gum disease and plaque.
- Dental office whitening requires an appointment with your local dentist or orthodontist. Whitening gel is applied for a designated amount of time and may be combined with a light, laser or heat to activate it. While this is the most costly option and usually involves several office visits, initial results can be seen almost immediately.
- bright on™ premium teeth whitening system. Lucky for you, complimentary teeth whitening gel is included with your invisible aligner shipment from SmileDirectClub! SmileDirectClub’s bright on premium teeth whitening gel is fast-acting and brightens your teeth to their whitest white in just one week when used as directed. Add on a blue LED accelerator light, which reacts with the gel to make it brighten your smile even faster, and you’ll have a whiter, straighter smile in no time!
Get started with SmileDirectClub today to get the straighter smile you’ve been hoping for, plus complimentary bright on teeth whitening.
Get Started Today!