Kindness is like a smile. One small act can completely turn your day around. Like smiling, being kind actually changes your brain for the better, making you happier.
Each time you do something kind for someone else, you create neural pathways that make you feel better by promoting the flow of your happiness neurotransmitters. So when you’re kind, you don’t just make someone else happier, you’re also adding happiness to your own life.
Make someone else smile today. Here are a few ideas:
- Write a letter to someone you care about.
- Compliment someone and mean it.
- Buy a drink for the person standing in line behind you at the coffee shop.
- Let a car merge in front of you.
- Donate that extra dollar at the grocery store.
- Ask someone how they’re doing, and actually listen to their answer.
- Bake something sweet and give it to your neighbor or your co-workers.
- Leave a generous tip, especially if your server is having a bad day.
- Stop for a pedestrian at the crosswalk.
- Call someone you love and tell them you love them.
- Put a coin in an expired parking meter.
- Send flowers to a friend.
- Listen when someone talks to you (without interrupting).
- Bring a cup of coffee for a co-worker the next time you take a coffee break.
- Open the door for someone.
- Do your partner’s or roommate’s chores for the day.
- Send a thank-you card.
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn.
- Buy a gift for a friend just because.
- Smile at a stranger.
See If You’re a Candidate for Invisible Aligners